SEARCH-Africa is a not-for-profit organisation with the goal of increasing access to clean and reliable energy supplies in African healthcare facilities
The main activities we are involved with are:
- Identifying the most disadvantaged but most deserving facilities.
- Evaluating need by doing site-level assessments of technical and social factors. There is no use in electrification if there is no staff to provide healthcare services.
- Directly involving healthcare workers to build an understanding of the professional and societal requirements to do their jobs most effectively.
- Working with medically-focused international organisations and health links to provide ongoing support and ensure the sustainability of development.
- Addressing social challenges through technology design, e.g. enhancing staff motivation and retention.
- Providing recommendations that utilizes existing technology rather than simply installing more inappropriate systems.
- Designing low-cost solutions where future systems are required.
- Proposals to utilize systems to their maximum potential, e.g. modern affordable technology for professional development and community training.
- Utilising local skills and knowledge.
- Identifying local partners with an understanding of challenges and solutions that match.
- Working with these local partners to design systems which will allow for the most appropriate use of the available energy resources.
- Proposing financing mechanisms to ensure ongoing energy supply through sufficient payment, operations, maintenance and replacement plans.
- Creating a model that attracts resources and advocates the work done by community and international organisations.
109 STONE MEADOW